Monday 23 August 2010

131 Songs - Numbers 50, 51 and 52

Number 50 - San Francisco Bay Blues by Eric Clapton

An unlikely choice for an Eric Clapton song? And not even his own composition. But the highlight of his "Unplugged" album would always make my top twenty recordings. Composed in the mid fifties by Jesse Fuller, this folk/blues number is what Terry Wogan used to describe as "hooligan music". With a band that included Andy Fairweather Low and my favourite percussionist Ray Cooper on tambourine, it is the most fun track in my collection. Check it out on YouTube with the drummer on washboard.

Number 51 - The Last Laugh by Mark Knopfler and Van Morrison

I was looking for my favourite Van Morrison song and in the end I went for the track when he accompanied Mark Knopfler on the album "Sailing to Philadelphia" just because his singing has never been better. Just think what he might have done with material such as this.

Number 52 - Split Decision by Steve Winwood

"Back In The High Life" is such a good album. I have selected one of the lesser know tracks, but one that demonstrates Steve Winwood's musicianship so well. The production values are excellent and show the instrumental sections in their best light. A funky modern R&B track is not usually my cup of tea, but this one is just great. It might have something to do with the appearance of co-writer and guitarist Joe Walsh. In fact, Steve co-wrote all the tracks on the album including the last "My Love Leavin' " with Vivian Stanshall from the Bonzo Dog band. Alison came with me to see Steve Winwood at the Royal Albert Hall in 1988. It does not quite seem like yesterday, but surely not 22 years.

No comments: