Monday 28 June 2010

Tring Book Club - The Black Dahlia and Brooklyn

The Black Dahlia by James Elroy

I hardly ever read crime fiction, so this choice for the book club would find me in different territory again. This was quite a difficult book to read, written as it was in the street dialogue of late 1940's LA. So 380 pages seemed to take forever. It was OK as a one off, but has not stirred to read more of this genre.

So the language was really strange: " grabbed a pair of radio car bulls who code three'd the booty over". You have to think to work it out. Written in the first person, it reminded me of the Philip Marlowe radio series from the 70's, and I found myself reading with his American accent.

All the characters were pretty obnoxious, apart from the wonderful old girl Jane Chambers. The fact that she liked our narrator Dwight Bleichert was his main saving grace. There were parts that were memorable - the boxing match which Dwight should have won, but lost - the interviews he conducts on the trail of the Black Dahlia's murderer - and his visit to Ensenada where he uncovers some nasty truths. The most disappointing part was the ending, it lets down the whole story.

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin

I thought the beginning was a little lightweight, but then after 60 pages or so we are treated to one of the most brilliant passages I have read for a long, long time. Our heroine has settled in New York, but cannot understand the emptiness and pain she feels. Father Flood has to explain to her what homesickness is, and the writing here is top class. The emotional tug of the people who help her through this period is wonderful.

From then on I just loved this book. The characters in the house where she lives become more interesting, and her maturing self confidence at work and in her personal life is well drawn. The final section is about the dilemma she faces when tragedy at home makes the choice that will determine her future all the more difficult. I loved this novel, and so did the ladies in my book club. I will definitely look to see what else the author has written.

No comments: