Sunday 2 May 2010

Kick-Ass, I Am Love and Dear John

I was surprised, as many of the critics were, that yet another superhero based movie, could surprise us with humour, a decent script and interesting action sequences. Mathew Vaughn has to be congratulated for an entertaining film where the young Hit Girl steals the show. Kick-Ass certainly pushes all the right buttons.

I cannot remember when I last saw a subtitled Italian movie. But I Am Love was given five stars by The Times, so off to MK to find I was the only viewer. I don't mind subtitles, hard to get used to at first, but after ten minutes or so, my brain seems to adjust quite well. Tilda Swinton is now in the Meryl Streep class of top movie actresses, and this time she carried a deliberately sedately story. The film was gorgeous to look at, which was a good job, as the action was limited to that of a rich family breaking up. Whether the script got lost in the translation to subtitles, but the writing left a lot to be desired. It was suggested that the music had a lot to play. But I found it's originality mostly painful. Although it is a memorable movie, particularly for Tilda Swinton, it is not surprising that the public at large disagreed with the critics.

I could have done without seeing Dear John. Another film that looked good on the screen, and this time with a semi-decent screenplay, but the story was pretty bland. A romantic drama needs more powerful acting than could be provided by Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried.

No comments: