Tuesday 1 September 2009

Songs on repeat

The last few Cd's I played in the car produced three particular tracks that I repeated time and time again. The first was Wish You Were Here by Fleetwood Mac. The last track on Mirage, one of their less popular albums, this song was written by Christine McVie (music) and Colin Allen (lyrics). A piano intro leads to Christine's haunting vocal backed by John's bass and Mick's drums which dominate throughout. Lindsey's guitar echoes occasionally in the background. The piano comes back as the vocal fades and the pizzicato guitar takes the lead for the exit instrumental. Brilliant.

The Time Comes composed and sung by Nina Gordon on the album Bleeding Heart Graffiti just shows what can be done with a piano accompaniment to a wonderful song and voice. I might be alone in thinking this is just the most outstanding piece of music.

I have mixed feelings about Jewel. Her songs are uneven and unpredictable. And then comes along Life Uncommon. More anthemic than the other tracks on the album Spirit, I just played it again and again.

I searched and searched for the tape I made of Roxette Live at Wembley Arena, recorded from a Radio One concert, probably in 1993. Their Tourism album that arrived a couple of weeks ago did not have as much live stuff as I had hoped. I was glad I found it. The intro to It Must Have Been Love was unmissable. But it did take longer to wind back and repeat.

No comments: