Monday 29 December 2008

Annus Mirabilis

It has been quite a year. It started with the installation of a new kitchen, to be followed by new radiators and new socket and switch plates and later new flooring and painting. We were glad when it was all over.

My retirement projects have been very satisfactory. I completed my research on "The Seymours" in March. After consolidating all my notes, I wrote the first draft of the screenplay in August. Apart from some minor editing, a printed version lies on a shelf. Channel 4's promise to reply remains unfulfilled, not surprising as they are cutting back. However, I am quite happy to forget about it, now I have achieved what I set out to do.

I had wanted for some time to make a fresh start on my family history since completing some basic research in 1999/2001. So in October I purchased some software called Family Historian and started entering the data I had collected on my father's side. This is almost complete. At the same time, I have been searching the Internet and found some interesting information that I can follow up next year.

Holidays have taken us to Jersey, the Lake District and Cornwall, with days out to the 02 to see the Tutankhamen exhibition, Cambridge, the Tower of London and Kew Gardens. I visited Bletchley Park, found the Chilterns walk described in Ian McEwan's Enduring Love and explored Hampstead. But the highlight of the year was obviously my trip to New York. To spend time with Michael and see the sights at the same time was unforgettable.

Best film of the year had to be No Country For Old Men, the best TV was the last episode of Ashes to Ashes and my best visit to the theatre was Taming of the Shrew at Stratford.

So, all in all, quite a year. And for next year? This will be a big year for my family history project, including a trip to Sheffield to search the archives, and to visit Cutlers Hall and other locations. Watch this space.

No comments: