Tuesday 30 September 2008

Get Smart, Hellboy II and Rocknrolla

I didn't expect much from Get Smart, so I was pleasantly surprised with this light comedy spy drama. I'm not a big Steve Carell fan, but he fitted the part of the main lead pretty well. And Anne Hathaway is always worth the price of admission. Reasonably funny in places mixed with some tidy action sequences, it was just OK.

I was not captivated by Hellboy II as had been most of the critics. It just seemed to me to be an advanced class in CGI. I found most of the film quite boring, it is hard to be positive about any aspect. I now remember the first half hour being a great opening (no CGI here), but I guess I just find Ron Perlman totally objectionable and wooden. I will not be going to the sequel.

Now Rocknrolla is a different story. Panned by many of the critics, it was my sort of movie. A comedy thriller right in the mould of Lock Stock. Lots of interesting characters ( this is the part Tom Wilkinson was destined to play, a great chief villain equal to Michael Gambon in Layer Cake.) Good story and dialogue, a fast pace and great editing. A real treat. Well done Mr Ritchie.

No comments: