Wednesday 20 February 2008

Sweeney Todd, No Country for Old Men and Cloverfield

Three of the best films I have seen for a long time. Again all very different, two oscar contenders and one that should have been.

Like Jonathon Ross ("Film 2008"), I dont really go for musicals. But also like him, I thought Sweeney Todd was excellent. There is so much going on when the singing starts, the acting and direction first class. And hugely atmospheric. I'm just not sure if the throat cutting had to be so realistic, and I like horror films.

I had to talk to my son about No Country for Old Men as I was confused by the ending to what was a superb movie. However I found exactly what I had missed on Yahoo Answers. I had thought that two main characters (Bell and Shigurh) had never met. They didn't, but were as close as you could get without actually meeting. The movie was terrific, fantastic photography and direction, and an awesome performance by Tommy Lee Jones.

There had been mixed reviews for Cloverfield. All the cast were a pretty annoying bunch, but maybe that was appropriate given the ending. The film was a frenetic and chaotic 75 minutes. It did contain some of the "horrors and heroism of survival", but tried mainly to give an experience of being in a monster catastrophe. This worked extremely well, with very long complex takes, and huge production values for a single camcorder.

No comments: