Monday 1 October 2007

Death Proof and YouTube

I have always been a sucker for a movie having a great song at the right time. In Death Proof , the stand out song for me ramps up the tension at the climax to the first half of the film. Hold Tight was released in 1966 by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick (Jungle Julia gets it wrong in the movie by calling him Mitch) and Titch. Searching on Google, I found a clip of the movie with the song on YouTube. And amongst the comments, someone says "best moment in the movie. I have never seen a more inspired combination of music and visuals". The writer is 18.

I missed he original title for Death Proof which shows for about a second in colour at the start of the film, before being superimposed by the new title in black and white. Again Google came to my rescue to confirm the original being "Quentin Tarrantino's Thunder Bolt". I was also interested in a mobile phone's ring tone which I had heard in Kill Bill. YouTube again provided the answer with a clip from the film. "Twisted Nerve" is the piece that Daryl Hannah whistles on her way to see a comatose Uma Thurman in hospital.

Staying on YouTube, I found a clip from the same film which contains "Whoo Hoo" by the 5,6,7,8's. Comments here pointed out the terrific steadicam sequences. One comment in particular suggested that the best steadicam sequence of all time was from Goodfellas, and once again YouTube has the clip of a single 2minute 34 seconds steadicam shot as the camera follows Ray Liotta and his new girlfriend through the back entrance of the Copacabana night club, through the bustling kitchens and into the dining room. All to the backing of "Then He Kissed Me" by the Crystals.

My favourite movie soundtrack is still Grosse Pointe Blank, soundtrack by Joe Strummer. I was knocked back in my seat at the closing credits to "Matador" by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs (also on YouTube, but a different video).

No comments: