Monday 4 June 2007

Mary, Thea, Sandi, Alison, The Dixies........and Jonathon

I had to record that the six CDs in the car this last week have been such a great selection. The five female artists are all such marvelous song writers. I hadn't bought a Mary Chapin Carpenter CD for a few years, but I had listened to some clips from her 2004 album "Here and Gone" and was not disappointed with my purchase. The arrangements, and especially the piano playing of producer Matt Rollings, were outstanding.

I wrote about Thea Gilmore's "The Threads" EP in March. There is one track called "Icarus Wind" that is exceptional.

"smile...it confuses people" is such a good album from Sandi Thom. "Lonely Girl" and "Sunset Borderline" are great back to back tracks.

Its hard to pick a favourite track from the Grammy award winning "Taking the Long Way" by the Dixie Chicks. It deserved its success.

Even after such great albums, "Alison Krauss Live" was still spine tingling. Up goes the volume and on comes the virtuoso playing of Union Station and the magical voice of Alison. She called Jerry Douglas the best Dobro player in the world, who am I to argue. This is the only one of my six AK albums that contains "I am a man of constant sorrow", worth it for that track alone. Lonnie ( see previous posting) would have been bowled over by the exuberance of the music.

The one odd CD in the car was a compilation free in the Sunday Times called "Anarchy UK". The punk recordings were ordinary including the obligatory Sex Pistols but not anything by The Clash. However there was one brilliant track that I had not heard for a long time - "Roadrunner" by Jonathon Richman (composer) and the Modern Lovers. I had left the CD in the car from the previous selection, just to here this track again. A masterpiece of a two chord garage anthem. How can that be?

No comments: